Arbutus unedo, Strawberry Tree, is a beautiful evergreen shrub which grows to around 3 metres in height. The bell-shaped flowers are produced in late summer followed by orange fruits which ripen to strawberry red. Normally, the flowers and fruits are present at the same time, making a spectacular display throughout the autumn and winter. Suitable for all soils but best in a fairly bright position to grow well - you should expect between 20 and 30 cm of growth each year. It is very easy to prune to shape and a very rewarding plant to have in the garden. Another robust shrub suitable for both planting out and container cultivation.
- Position: Full sun to part shade tolerant of windy and coastal positions
- Soil: Most soils except waterlogged or chalky
- Eventual Size: 3 to 4 metre, but can be pruned
- Habit: Rounded evergreen shrub with dense foliage
- Foliage: Evergreen
- RHS Perfect for Pollinators: Autumn
- Other common names: strawberry tree, cane apple, Dalmatian strawberry, Killarney strawberry tree
- Common Names: Strawberry Tree
QUESTION & ANSWER
No Questions Yet
No reviews yet.