Fejoia / Feijoa sellowiana or Acca sellowiana, the Pineapple Guava, is a choice evergreen from South America. During the summer the compact silvery green foliage is topped with beautiful red and white flowers. The petals somewhat surprisingly taste of candy floss making them an exotic addition to a cocktail drink or fruit salad.If you are lucky after a hot summer, plum sized red fruits will be produced with a juicy pineapple like flavour. It is a tough easy to grow plant enjoying a sunny part of the garden where it will tolerate some coastal exposure. Can also be kept in a container. A good choice for balconies and roof gardens.
- Position: full sun to part shade
- Soil: most soils except waterlogged or chalky
- Eventual Size: up to 2 metres, but can be pruned
- Habit: rounded evergreen shrub with dense foliage
- Foliage: grey green rounded leaves
- Flower Colour: Pink/Red
- Common Names: (Acca) Pineapple Guava
Eventual size after 10 years
Pruning not necessary, light spring pruning for shaping if wanted.