Ginkgo biloba ‘Mariken’ is a very recent introduction, discovered in The Netherlands in the mid 1990’s, and named after a famous historical statue close by. The growth is very slow and incredibly compact eventually forming a spherical mass of leaves.
This is one the best of the dwarf Ginkgos for container cultivation.
- Position:Full sun to full shade out of cold, drying winds - especially coastal winds.
- Soil:All soils, but avoid waterlogged areas very dry soils will need extra watering.
- Eventual Size:Up to 1. 5 metres, but can be pruned.
- Habit:Deciduous, compact and bushy dark green leaves turning yellow before falling.
- Foliage:Dark green, fan shaped leaves turning gold in autumn.
- Common Names:Maidenhair Tree 'Mariken'.