Fargesia ‘Jiuzhaigou’ often called ‘Red Panda’ Fargesia was once a very rare bamboo, fortunately this fabulous clumping bamboo is now available all year at Big Plant Nursery. Fargesia ‘Jiuzhaigou’ bamboo was first discovered and collected at Jiuzhaigou Park in northern Sichuan, China by a German pharmacist Stephan Wagner. It is a clump-forming bamboo that grows to a height of around 3 metres. Excellent when planted in semi-shade to full sun, where the mixture of green, purple and red canes or culms are topped with dainty small dark green leaves. Being one of the red bamboos ‘Jui’ as we like to call it makes a superb specimen plant with it’s upright fountainous habit and can, be used by gardeners to create a stand alone specimen or planted as a hedge or screen to create a wonderful oriental or Japanese feel. When planted as a hedge or screen it can easily be pruned with shears or even hedge cutter creating either straight edges or creative curves. ‘Jui’ also grows well as a pot plant, where it will make an excellent addition to the patio garden. We have found that when planting ‘Red Panda’ as with all red bamboo the brightest colour to the culms or stems develop after exposure to direct sunlight so consider this when positioning and allow for adquate watering to aid establishment. Fargesia ‘Juizhaigou has excellent hardiness tolerating temperatures into the low minus 20 degrees celsius. A low maintenance clumping bamboo easy to grow and very hardy, highly recommended.
- Eventual Size:Up to 3 metres, but can be pruned.
- Position:Sun to semi shade avoid cold, north easterly winds.
- Habit:Upright/Clump forming/Non-invasive.
- Soil:All soils, but avoid waterlogged areas very dry soils will need extra watering.
- Botanical name:Fargesia species 'Jiuzhaigou 1' .
- Common Name:Jiu, 'Red Dragon', 'Red Panda', Red Fountain Bamboo, Jiuzhaigou bamboo, Red Bamboo