Tetrapanax papyrifer 'Rex' is undoubtedly one of the most architectural, hardy, exotic plants possible to grow here in the U.K. With perhaps the largest leaves of any other woody plant grown here "Rex' certainly makes it's presence felt in the garden.
In milder regions it can be almost evergreen but usually we treat them a deciduous shrub, hardy in most regions. If you live in a particulary cold area it's a good idea to protect the trunk in winter with straw or fleece.
Be prepared though once settled in 'Rex' will grow fast creating both dramatic effect and a talking point!
- Position: full sun to part shade.
- Soil: most soils except waterlogged conditions
- Eventual Size: 3 to 4 metre, but can be pruned
- Habit: rounded evergreen shrub with dense foliage
- Common Names: Rice Paper Plant, Chinese rice-paper plant 'Rex'
QUESTION & ANSWER
No Questions Yet
Karren on 21 Feb 2018
My plants arrived safely in perfect condition and Im very pleased with them. Excellent service.