Ensete ventricosum ‘Maurelii’ is a fast growing, very jungly plant also known as the Red Abyssinian banana. Though not hardy it can be grown outside duriing the summer months either planted out or in a large container. Often growing to over 1.50 metres tall in a single summer ‘Maurelii’ creates a stunning show with its brightly coloured paddle shaped leaves. Best brought inside for the winter or dug up and cut back hard and kept in a cool glasshouse. Also makes a beautiful conservatory or house plant.
*Please note during winter months, plants may be cut back for overwintering and delivery purposes – this poses no risk to the plant**
- Position:Full sun.
- Soil:Moist, well-drained soil.
- Eventual Size:Up to 5 metres.
- Foliage:Evergreen herbaceous perennial.
- Common Names:Purple Abyssinian Banana.
- Other names: Ensete ventricosum 'Rubrum', Ensete 'Maurelii', Ethiopian black banana
- Hardiness:Tolerant of low temperatures, but not surviving being frozen (1 to 5)