Acer palmatum ‘Bloodgood’ is one of the best known red acers, as it is a strong growing, reliable purple-leaved acer. This particular variety makes an excellent focal point in the garden and is a must for the Japanese styled garden. If you are looking for a splash of red from spring to autumn this tree ticks all the boxes. RHS AWard of Garden Merit.
- Position:Full sun to part shade tolerant of windy positions, but not coastal.
- Soil:All soils, but avoid waterlogged areas very dry soils will need extra watering.
- Eventual Size:3 to 4 metres, but can be pruned.
- Habit:Deciduous open habit and vigorous growth.
- Common Names:Japanese maple 'Bloodgood'.