With an incredibly long name Mahonia eurybracteata subsp. ganpinensis ‘Soft Caress’ originating from China is delicate looking aristocratic Mahonia is one of our favourite shrubs with delicate deep green fern foliage topped in spring, with sprays of fragrant yellow flowers. Wonderfully architectural delicate small evergreen shrub quiet unlike its spiky cousins. Tolerant of shady conditions, we have planted Mahonia eurybracteata amongst ferns and Japanese maples to great effect. For best results add organic compost and keep moist when planting until established. Hardy and unfussy requiring little if any pruning.
- Eventual Size:1m x 1m (height/spread).
- Position:Full sun to full shade.
- Habit:Compact, evergreen shrub.
- Soil:Moderately fertile, humus-rich, moist, well-drained soil.
- Rate of growth:Average.
- Flowering period:August to October.
- Flower colour:bright yellow
- Other features:the flowers are followed by spherical, blue berries
- Hardiness:fully hardy