Phoenix canariensis, the Canary Island Date Palm is perhaps one of the most familiar sights in the Mediterranean and almost instantly recognizable. It is proving to be quite hardy, with mature specimens tolerating heavy frosts. It is a hungry and thirsty palm and should be planted in full sun and good rich soil. This palm is fast growing and therefore, always very good value for money.
- Position:Full sun and a sheltered position should be wrapped in colder areas.
- Soil:All soils, but avoid waterlogged areas drought tolerant once established.
- Eventual Size:Up to 5 metres in height.
- Habit:Bulbous trunk with arching, dark green foliage.
- Foliage:Evergreen, Bushy.
- Hardiness:Tolerant of low temperatures, but not surviving being frozen (1 to 5).
- Common Names:Canary Island date palm, Canary date palm